Friday, May 30, 2014

The unexpected cost of surgery

I'm sure everyone realizes that surgery is an expensive procedure.   What I didn't appreciate beforehand though were all the things that surround the surgery itself that seem to put a drain on my wallet.

Physical therapy.  First, the copays... I will have approximately 25-30 physical therapy appointments post-surgery.  At $45 a piece, this is a serious drain on cash.   If we include all the sessions I had for this injury before surgery, it would get close to another 25.   Don't do the math.  It's scary.

Physical therapy is also a 55 mile round trip for me.  That would be my typical commute mileage for an entire week and now I do it 2-3 times a week.   And have you noticed that gas is not cheap?  Yeah.  Thankfully, my car gets 40MPG but ugh.

Internet shopping.  I may or may not have been on Amazon Prime post-surgery.  A lot.

Food.  We are going out to eat or picking up food more often, either on the way to/from physical therapy.

Work time off.   By the end of rehab, I will have blown through all of my sick leave and vacation time.  While this is not a cash issue, it still sucks.   "Vacation time" has a certain image of beaches and mai tais.  Not crutches and a pill sorter.

Race entrance fees.  I had signed up for several races before I was diagnosed, not realizing that I would be heading into surgery.  So now that I can't race, I effectively purchased a very expensive t-shirt for a race I didn't run.

Various purchases of "surgery aids".  I ran through what I purchased before surgery in this post.   Not for nothing, but most of that stuff will be useless shortly.  Glad I had them, but it still added up.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something.  It's probably best if I just stop doing the mental math now!







2 comments:

  1. Yup, it sucks! I spent way to much on wine during my surgeries :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I mean, what ELSE are you going to do with all that down time? lol

      Delete