Sunday, May 4, 2014

Hip Surgery Shopping List

A few items have come in really handy post-surgery!

The first is the grabber tool.   This saves me from having to get up off the couch, so long as all critical items are within the grabber reach.   I have a water bottle on a table near by that I can snag, and it's good for picking up my cell phone, a bag of snacks, etc.  It also helps when you are trying to get pants on and you can't bend over!


Next - this ice pack.   Some people will get an ice machine (like Game Ready) for post-op icing, but my doctor just has us use ice packs.  This wrap has adjustable velcro and the ice pack can be placed anywhere with velcro as well.  This means you can put the ice on and still get up and move, without it falling off or moving.

This laptop stand lets you keep your screen at a good height to avoid neck strain. It's fully adjustable and I can use it sitting up or more horizontal.   It works for kindles and tablets, as well.

The leg pillow will keep your leg raised comfortably, without fighting with multiple pillows. (Adjusting pillows when you can't really reach your feet is not trivial, I've found!)

I purchased a backpack-style handbag so when I leave the house, I don't have to deal with a purse and the crutches.  It's called a "mini-backpack" and it fits my tablet and wallet and such.  I also have a larger backpack for around the house, so I can put stuff in it and carry it back to the couch.   Not having a free hand makes it tough to bring anything with you from Point A to Point B.

I already have blisters on my palms from the little crutch walking I've done.  Crutcheze are added padding for the standard issue crutches you get from the hospital.



I haven't yet had a chance to test it out, but I also purchased a stool for the shower.  I'll update once I've had a chance to shower with it (I can't wait!).




No comments:

Post a Comment