Saturday, May 3, 2014

The first 24 hours after surgery

It's amazing how many things change in just one 24 hour period.   Two days ago I was riding my bike, today I can't do anything without assistance.

The pain is still not totally controlled, even though I am on vicodin and anaprox.   It's fine if I am sitting still, but when I move - especially if it's an attempt to lift my leg in any way - it's a strong, sharp pain in my groin.  I am pretty sure it's from the psoas release because of the type of movement that triggers it.  I'm hoping it passes soon because it's kind of a bummer!

Getting around on crutches are taking some time getting used to and I'm still not quite comfortable up and moving, so that makes getting around a very slow process.  I have mastered getting on and off the toilet, however.  And I also managed to get underwear on.


I really, really needed my husband around after surgery.  If I needed to get up for everything that wasn't within reach of the couch, I would have been in a lot more pain.  I do think though that I need a bell of some sort. :)  The intubation tube left me without much of  voice, so sometimes he doesn't hear my commands wishes, so the ringy dingy of the bell would be helpful.   I can't imagine living alone and trying to cope with this!  I can't really move my operated leg well on my own without intense pain, so he's been having to lift my leg for me, like when I want to get up from lying down on the couch or getting into bed.

Today we also start some range of motion exercises.  My husband needs to lift my leg and move it around in a circle, three times a day for I think the next few weeks.  I'm pretty sure this is what is meant by "in sickness" in our vows!

The wrap the have me in is enormous!  I couldn't get into real pants even if I wanted to.




3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry your pain isn't under control. :( Hopefully that will subside soon!! Can you sleep at least? Thank goodness for your loving hubby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first night after surgery was rough. Last night was much better!

      Delete
  2. That wrap looks like it would make a great elbow rest for watching TV.

    ReplyDelete