Friday, May 9, 2014

One week check-in!

This last week seemed like a million years, honestly.   I had a physical therapy session and my one week check-in with the surgeon today (they are in the same office).   Physical therapy went fine - I'm now cleared to ride a bike for 10 minutes every other day with no resistance.  I'm sure that will work up a sweat. :)

The physician's assistant went through my surgery and surgery photos and explained everything that was done.  I knew pretty much all of it already from the post-surgery meeting, but this was in a little more detail.  Other than the one spot where it had started to delaminate near the labrum tear, my cartilage was pristine- no blemishes or defects.  Yah!   And they anchored the cartilage back down, so effectively that's been "fixed".

This is a picture of my labrum prior to being fixed (note the red, irritated look, red arrows).  It also shows my psoas tendon (blue box) which was the major cause of the irritation.



This series of shots shows the labrum after it had been fixed and anchored - the red arrows mark the anchor points.  In total, I had three anchors into my acetabulum to fix the labral tear. The smooth white surface on the righthand side is the ball of my femur.

This is what the neck of my femur looked like after they shaved off the rough ridge that had formed and that was hitting the labrum.


And finally, once they were done with everything, they stitched up the hole they needed to make in the joint capsule.

There are some photos of the acetabulum trimming, further labrum damage and whatnot, but frankly, I can't quite remember which is which!

To give you a sense of how small the space is that they are working in, here's a good visual:



Here's a photo of my stitches earlier today.  Some minor bruising, but nothing too bad.  





2 comments:

  1. I'm so amazed at what they can do in such small spaces, and by making such small holes!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing world we live in to be able to see all that! And so much better for you than a huge incision.

    ReplyDelete