Friday, May 16, 2014

Surgery is now two weeks in the rear-view mirror

I'm at the two week mark from labrum tear repair, femoral osteochondroplasty, acetabular osteochondroplasty, and psoas tenotomy.  (I know, big words!)   This surgery has about an 80% success rate, which makes it a mental as well as physical recovery, because with every little pain or nag I'm asking myself if I am in the 80% or the 20%.   We're just going to have to keep the faith. :)

A recap of recovery over the last two weeks:
For about 3-4 days after surgery, I had an intense, sharp pain in my groin whenever I would attempt to move my leg.   This completely resolved, and thankfully I was able to stop the narcotic pain killers.  This was mostly from the psoas release.   Now if I attempt to lift my leg (i.e. use my hip flexors),  my leg mostly just doesn't move.   If I keep at trying to lift my leg, I will start to get a nagging pain in the groin, but nothing sharp like after surgery.   

I've been told it can take up to three months before you can engage the psoas fully and it's certainly the most challenging part of rehab so far.   For instance, if I am standing on my crutches, I can move my foot about 1-2" off the ground.   So I can walk OK, but if I need to put on a pair of pants, I need to sit down, physically move my leg up and into the pants leg.

My lower back was seriously irritated from like day 5 to mid-second week and eventually I needed to start up the pain killers again.  It's calmed down a lot, with much less sciatica involvement, but still not 100%.   This is not uncommon post-surgery but given my history, I would have been more surprised if my back didn't react somehow.   Now that I am able to walk in the pool, things are better.  As I've mentioned before, sitting for long periods is just not good for low back issues.

I started physical therapy three days after surgery.  I had my first check-in with the surgeon's PA at the one week mark and the stitches came out then.  As soon as the stitches were out, I was able to start pool therapy and the rest of my sessions for May will be in the water.

My pain right now in the operated hip is just about zero.  After PT, I will have a little groin soreness but it never lasts too long.   Today was one of those stormy days that I would have felt in my hip and I felt nothing, so for now, things are going in the right direction!




4 comments:

  1. You have got to be in the 80%. You are fit and you work so hard! That 20% has to be people who don't do their PT religiously and probably had other problems to begin with. Glad the recovery is going as expected!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recap because it is sounding more and more like how I was feeling the first two weeks. I remember telling myself to lift my leg and gave it all my mental power in the world, and it wouldn't budge. It was the strangest thing. To give you some light at the end of the tunnel, I'm using the hip flexor a lot painfree at 2 months out. I do still have a little difficult getting my pants on, which is weird to me. I realized it is because if I'm standing I bend down first kind of scrunched up and then try to lift the operative leg which is different than just lifting the operative leg. Hope things are good for you these next two weeks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so helpful to hear about other people's experiences! It IS so strange to tell my leg to do something and have it totally ignore my wishes :P

      Delete