Monday, April 7, 2014

The three-legged dog who inspires

It's sort of cliche and trite to say that my dog inspires me, isn't it?   But he really is an amazing dog.

Before we adopted him, Buster shattered his leg and was surrendered to the adoption group.   The choice for the group was to have it amputated or have him put down.  They opted to amputate and unfortunately, after the surgery he had a series of set backs and complications.  Nearly bled out after an internal suture ripped open, twice.  Had problems eating and keeping food down.    He was at the vet for nearly 6 weeks and was basically wasting away.


His foster home took him in as a last ditch effort to see if home life would help him thrive.  The TLC worked and he put on some much needed weight.   Their goal was now to find him a home - someone without small animals and who would want a three-legged dog.  I just happened to be working with the group president and because I am always the sucker for a dog in need, we adopted him.

Buster has no idea he has three legs and it doesn't impact his life much at all.   He's happy, plays, and loves everyone.  He is very attached to our clan... our other dog, my husband and myself and if someone isn't home, he will whine and stare at the door.  (OK, so the whining is less endearing but I just have to deal with it.)  I can't imagine the mental state I would be in after going through as much as he has.

The canine ability to live in the moment, while I know it's not something they consciously decide to do, is really remarkable.   I try to remember to not worry about what's happened or what may happen in the future and just live in the current moment and enjoy the "now".

3 comments:

  1. "The canine ability to live in the moment, while I know it's not something they consciously decide to do, is really remarkable."

    Great perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Buster!! And you're right, we can learn from our dogs and their ability to let it go.

    ReplyDelete