Saturday, June 7, 2014

Post-surgery depression

If you're on the hip forums or chat rooms, you'll see the post-surgery blues mentioned.  Some claim it happens around week 6, some say anywhere in the 4-8 week range after surgery.   It's not surprising that a total change in your lifestyle - one that is generally difficult, isolating and with many restrictions on what you can do - would be met with sadness, frustration and depression.   People generally value their independence and now for weeks or months, you are highly dependent on others... it's tough.

That said though, it is important to try to find ways to keep your spirits up post-surgery.   There is a good amount of evidence out there that people who are happier will fare better in rehab and healing.  For example:

Depressive symptoms are a major driver of reduced immunity after hip fracture.

Depression following hip fracture is associated with greater physical frailty and poorer long term recovery post-injury.

Major depression is accompanied by immune dysregulation and activation of the inflammatory response system (IRS). 


I think staying socially connected - for me at least - helps combat the feeling of isolation after surgery.  Try to find events or social gathering that you can handle while on crutches and that won't increase your pain.   If you are missing your daily workouts, ask your therapist if there are things that you can do without causing problems - the arm bike was something I figured out would help get my heart rate up a bit without impacting my hip at all.

It's also important to ask for help if you are feeling depressed.  Don't bottle up those feelings.  It is a normal part of surgery but you don't want it to consume you in a way that will impact your healing.

How do you keep your spirits up during tough times?  

Edit - I wanted to add this recent FAI blog post, as it touches on some of the mental aspects of surgery: Hip Athroscopy Rehab - a Psychological Perspective.

3 comments:

  1. I think a persons disposition has a lot to do with it as well, as glass half-full people tend to look on the bright side when they cannot run or workout. That doesn't mean they don't have dark periods too, they just are able to latch on to something to help them cope.

    In any event, it is mentally tough for everyone regardless of your disposition because you are not 100% sure you will ever do the things you used to do.

    I am a "latcher", and as long as there is a sliver of hope that becomes my focus. Not everyone can, or wants to do that though and for them I suggest finding a method to cope that works for them. Which in some cases is not thinking about the activity they most want to do until they are healed, where a person such as myself dreams about it endlessly.

    Hey, different strokes for different folks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are doing a great job trying to help yourself feel better (both physically & mentally) rather than sink deeper into depression. At least you know that it's common and not just you. Your ideas for moving past it are great. I'm sure you're helping a lot of people!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know this is an old post but I'm really dealing with this depression right now. I had a lateral release, chondroplasty, and extensive synovectomy on my left knee last November. Since then I am been in PT and not been allowed to run at all because my knee remained swollen for so long. In the meantime, somehow I have developed a labral tear or two in my right hip and possibly another in my left hip. Now I am waiting for insurance to make a determination about covering surgery so I can get it fixed. And I'm looking at 4-6 months MORE of no running (or maybe even longer). I miss my running club friends and running so much already :(

    ReplyDelete