Thursday, June 12, 2014

42 days

Six weeks!

I feel like the six week mark has been a milestone of sorts.  Six weeks was the longest I might have been on crutches.  Six weeks marks a significant portion of healing and with that, more freedom to do various things as well.

At six weeks:
- I can go up and down a flight of stairs without too much issue.  The psoas is still unhappy about lifting the leg going up, but nothing terrible.
- I can walk for exercise and I can add resistance on the bike (but not yet cleared to ride outside).  We also did the elliptical at therapy today.
- I sometimes find myself forgetting I had surgery.   I sat quickly the other day, not thinking about my hip, and had a nice, sharp reminder that I'm not healed enough to do things like that.  Oops.
- Standing and sitting for periods of time isn't dreadful.  Some chairs are still uncomfortable, but overall, I can get comfortable.
- I am still having some nerve issues while sleeping on my side, so I haven't yet been able to move off of sleeping on my back (which I don't like).
- My range of motion is just about perfect, except for internal and external rotation - but even those are improving daily.

Physical therapy has jumped from regaining motion and flexibility to pretty much all about strength and balance.  We've now added:

One-legged squats on a stair

Bird dips with weight


Bosu planks

Monster walks/lateral band walks

Today I felt like all my pre-op work was finally starting to pay off.  I can get though almost a full hour of leg work, and while they are still total mush by the end, the fact that I can get through it all without needing to modify anything was promising.   She's also increased the weight/resistance every session and it hasn't caused me any trouble.

And the best is - NO hip pain doing any of the exercises.

3 comments:

  1. Keep at it, that psoas will eventually give in. Excellent progress thus far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've started doing a lot of this things too! I'm 4 weeks post Op. I am SO SORE now too bc of the strength training! A good sore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just popped over to your blog - yes, I can see why you're sore! :P

      Delete