Sunday, October 26, 2014

My last few runs

Two weeks ago, I ran for a few minutes on the treadmill.  Not sure why since I was pretty sure it was going to suck... but I guess runners can be stubborn.

And it was OK.  Not great, not bad.  Tolerable.  

Over the next ten days, that was followed up with:
20 minutes run/walk (2 min/1 min)
20 minutes run/walk (2 min/30 seconds)
20 minutes run/walk (3 min/1 min)
and then
26 minutes run/walk (3 min/1 min for 20 min, 1 min/30 sec for 6).   This totaled about 2.4 miles at about an 11min/mile pace average for the run/walk.

Huh?

Now, none of the runs I would classify as "pain free".  Achy, some sharper pains, but nothing that made me think I needed to stop.  And my surgery hip feels fine, it's really all in the other hip.

After today's 2.4 miles, I went out for 6 miles on the ElliptiGO.  That felt great.  Wheeeee.

After the running fail three weeks ago, I upped the hip flexor stretching.  I figured that it couldn't hurt and maybe it would help some.  I stretch 2-3 times a day most days.  I had noticed that my hip had started to snap, loudly.  And often.  Now that's almost totally gone.

This one I do at work:

These two are also in the rotation:


You can also have someone push down on your hanging leg for an extra stretch.


I still get enough of an achy pain in my other hip that I'm sure the hip flexor tightness is not the only issue.  There's something functionally wrong, but maybe I am keeping things at bay with some added flexibility.  Or maybe pilates has been the key to keeping things OK.  Or this is some sort of fluke and my next run will suck again.   Who knows!  The running gods are fickle and cruel.






6 comments:

  1. I'm so glad it went better! You are great at doing exercises. I know I have hip flexor issues (surely from too much computer time) but I am really bad at remembering to stretch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It finally got bad enough that I now remember. I probably should have started a long time ago!

      Delete
  2. Keep at the strengthening, it is not written in stone that your other hip is busted up. I have not had surgery on either hip, but have had issues for years with both and know they are a fickle lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fickle and cruel indeed, but this makes me happy to hear! I'm really glad your op hip is doing so well. Now if that other one would only cooperate.

    ReplyDelete