Friday, August 1, 2014

The San Francisco Half Marathon: My final DNS

Over the winter - and pre-diagnosis - I had accepted the fact that I would just have to run through this pesky tendonitis stuff if I wanted to run.   I hit a mileage PR running through pain so why not sign up for a few races as well?   Sadly to say, I DNSed all of them.   The last one was the San Francisco half, this past weekend.  My husband ran the full marathon so I was spectator extraordinaire.

The SF Marathon has four races going on that same day - the full, TWO half marathons and a 5k.  25,000 runners!  And it was a very well-run and well-organized event.

We stayed at the Hyatt at the Embarcadero because I did not want to have to deal with getting to the starting line for a 5:30 start time.   We've stayed there before and so it was familiar territory, as well.  My husband was in the wave right after the elites, so he was officially off and running at like 5:32.  EARLY.   Even with the east coast time zone advantage, it still felt really, really early to be standing out there at o-dark-thirty.
The view from our hotel room.


Starting line.


Once he was off and running, I hung around and cheered on the remaining 8 waves of people (like I said, 25,000 runners!).    I saw the wave start that I would been in... ah well, it is what it is.  Sticking around the start line did mean that I caught the sun rise, which was lovely. 

The bay bridge sun rise

We stayed around the bay area for the rest of the week and ate a lot and drank a lot.  And I didn't do any of my physical therapy...  Back to reality now!

Needless to say, I won't be signing up for ANYTHING until the day of the race.  Signing up for races and not running them is an expensive way to get a t-shirt.  


1 comment:

  1. Bummer that you had to DNS. :( I rarely preregister for that reason. If I do preregister, it's never been more than a week before. With kids, illness, weather, I just never know! Glad you were able to still go hang out w/ Shawn & watch him run !

    ReplyDelete