Saturday, August 2, 2014

Data!

As I mentioned earlier, I have been using a BodyMedia arm band (now owned by Jawbone).  Here's what some of the data looks like (I don't wear a heart rate monitor and I am bad about recording my food, so I am not using all of the data features it has):


This is a summary of the last 7 days.  It gives you an average calories burned assessment and a summary of steps walked and how much exercise you did over that period.   It also gives you a sense of your sleep "efficiency", which is pretty accurate.  The nights when I get up at 3am and stare at the clock show up pretty clearly in their breakdown.

When you load up data, it will show you a list of "accomplishments".  I don't know what this says about me if all my accomplishments are about sleeping.  Hmmm.

On any particular day, you can look at your data by hour.  Here is my activity and steps on an hourly basis:

What I like about Body Media is that it's like having someone watch me all day and know that my decision to be lazy will be permanently recorded somewhere.  I want my numbers to be good, dammit! I've found myself opting to walk somewhere so I can be sure that I get my 10,000 steps in.  No, I'm not obsessed by data or anything.

Does anyone else use an activity tracker?  Fit Bit, Jawbone, Nike Fuel, etc?


2 comments:

  1. I haven't ever tried something like that but maybe it would force me to not sit as much! Do you think it's pretty accurate? I've heard the FitBits aren't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's supposedly more accurate because it has a sensor that touches your skin - it monitors temperature, sweat, etc. I'm sure there is still a fudge factor and not 100%!

      Delete