Sunday, March 16, 2014

The pre-operation plan

Thankfully, there are things I can do that don't cause pain (and unfortunately, running is not one of them).   I'm trying to keep up with as much as I can before surgery, so I go into rehab strong.  The key for me is no or low impact workouts, as well as working on hip and core strength.  I don't do much stretching anymore because it almost always results in increased soreness for me.

My basic weekly schedule:
Sun - Elliptical with hip work - lateral lunges, hip bridges
Mon - Spin bike
Tues - upper body weights with core
Weds - rest
Thurs - Elliptical with hip work
Fri - Spin bike
Sat - Aqua jogging

To help my pre-op activities, I bought a pair of Hoka One One Bondis. I really wanted something with more impact protection than what I had been wearing - they are running shoes known for their (almost comical) amount of cushion. They also have a small drop from heel-to-toe unlike common running shoes, which I liked. I did the elliptical today and I definitely noticed less overall ache afterwards.   I wore them for most of the day, as well, as they were really comfortable and kind to my hip.


2 comments:

  1. I keep hearing about these shoes. They look so strange to me! Glad you like them! I like a smaller drop shoe, too. Now that I'm used to them, wearing regular shoes feels so uncomfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO less sore with these, it's really remarkable. They aren't sexy but hey, whatever works. :P

    ReplyDelete