Saturday, November 15, 2014

Week two of the AIP and Continuing Rehab

The second full week of the Autoimmune Protocol Diet is behind me!  This week, I made similar breakfasts/snacks/lunches as I did last week, but I did try a few new recipes, including:  Homemade Gummiescarob brownies and sweet potato/leek soup.  All were great!  For dinners, I made chicken piccata (minus the flour), grilled chicken, and burgers.  I also navigated going out to eat twice successfully!  Grilled salmon and steamed veggies for one and a burger and sweet potato fries for the other.

I am definitely feeling more energetic and my tummy hasn't had that "ugh, I ate something that disagreed with me" yucky feeling.  However, I really miss eggs as a quick and easy meal.  And spices!  Like cumin and pepper.  Oh, and chocolate.


My surgeon cleared me for all activities at my six month check-in.  He thinks my hip flexors are my main issue, and that time will help.  Because I am not patient and don't want to just "wait", I hired a trainer to work with me.  He specializes in injury prevention and rehabbing post-injury (perfect, right!).   We met and discussed my situation and he made some observations on my remaining weaknesses and compensations.  He gave me a two week plan to follow and then we'll meet again and assess my progress.

Here is the list of exercises, to be done three times/week:
PT-type exercises
Bridges (3 versions- regular, alt leg raises, leg raise with rotation)
Clam shells
Cable exercises
Side planks
Seated hip rotation with band/chair
Monster walks to the side and back at a 45 degree angle

Strength exercises
Single leg static hip rotation; 2 sets of 10-12 each leg
Hops to balance- side to side and rotation; 2 sets of 12-15 hops each way on each leg
Side lunge- 2 sets of 12-15 each way
Bird dip with band pull; 2 sets of 15 reps with max glute squeeze
Walking lunges forward; 1 set weightless of 12-15 reps on each leg
Static lunges forward with weight; 1-2 sets of 4-8 to build muscle or 12-15 to build endurance
Squats- 2 sets of at least 10 reps

I'm looking forward to seeing if a) I can get through all of these exercises three times a week and b) if it helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment